tending

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view. 
~H. Fred Dale
Mistakes? Most of the greatest Joys I've experienced have been from accidents.  Meeting my husband, having my child, and all the friends that have blessed my life. The blackberry bush on my side yard is another delight.  We all know berries are good for us, but blackberries have many unique qualities not shared by other berries.  They are actually a member of the rose family and contain individual drupelets that surround a firm core called the receptacle. These drupelets, their skin and seeds, along with the receptacle give the highest fiber of any fruit. Blackberries are full of vitamin A, C, potassium, calcium , phenolic acids and many other healthy anti-carcinogenic properties.  Their leaves are beneficial as an antiseptic and astringent.  A tea made of blackberry leaves aids in reduction of nausea and also promotes healthy digestion.  Blackberry leaves can also heal the very scratches they often cause while picking them. There are many reasons I have decided to live with the blackberry bush, but the most obvious is that they are delicious. So whether your thumb is green, red or purple, remember goodness can come from things we may first see as Mistakes.  There is so much that can be learned through the process of simply living.  EnJoy

No comments:

Post a Comment